Friday, April 15, 2011

I've Discovered "Hyperbole and a Half"

A few weeks ago, a post by Mr. Sullivan led me to Hyperbole and a Half, and I spent much of the day giggling/LOLing uncontrollably at what I found there.

If you have not yet been to Hyperbole and Half, please go right now.

I think my favorite is "Why I'll Never Be an Adult". Like many of the 848 commenters, "I could have written that!":


I literally laughed for days, and still laugh every time I think of this highly personal vignette:
I begin to feel like I've accomplished my goals. It's like I think that adulthood is something that can be earned like a trophy in one monumental burst of effort and then admired and coveted for the rest of one's life.

What usually ends up happening is that I completely wear myself out. Thinking that I've earned it, I give myself permission to slack off for a while and recover. Since I've exceeded my capacity for responsibility in such a dramatic fashion, I end up needing to take more recovery time than usual. This is when the guilt-spiral starts.

The longer I procrastinate on returning phone calls and emails, the more guilty I feel about it. The guilt I feel causes me to avoid the issue further, which only leads to more guilt and more procrastination. It gets to the point where I don't email someone for fear of reminding them that they emailed me and thus giving them a reason to be disappointed in me.
(emphasis totally mine)

Then the guilt from my ignored responsibilities grows so large that merely carrying it around with me feels like a huge responsibility. It takes up a sizable portion of my capacity, leaving me almost completely useless for anything other than consuming nachos and surfing the internet like an attention-deficient squirrel on PCP.
"surfing the internet like an attention-deficient squirrel on PCP"!!! Is that not one of the funniest and most apt things ever written? Again, brilliant. Substitute chips & salsa or a Tombstone pizza (oh yeah, and vodka) for "nachos" et voila - c'est moi.

The final panel is perfect, and all too true.


OK, so as I write this it's only 10:35PM - but I've seen plenty of 3:17AMs in my time - and quite a few 5:17AM or 6:17AMs when I thought: Hey, it's getting light out there - should I go to bed?

Ah, technology.

----------

(It looks like some of the posts have been turned into YouTube clips, complete with Carmina Burana-esque scores - those literally had me in tears. I would link to them, but I've got a bit of the nv4_disp thing going on with this particular laptop at the moment, so I'm avoiding the YouTubes. Sorz. They are easily found, and worth it.)

No comments: